Today Yahoo launched its 2009 Year in Review which features the top trends and web searches made on Yahoo for 2009.
Categories included in the Year in Review include:
- Top 10 Searches e.g. Twilight
- Farewells e.g. Michael Jackson
- Sudden Fame e.g. Susan Boyle
- Mad Science e.g. Hubble Telescope
- Obama in the House e.g. Health Care Plan
- Market Darlings e.g. Twitter
- Financial Hangovers e.g. Stimulus Plan
- Bloggers Roll e.g. Huffington Post
Each category features a Top 10 list of the most popular searches queries for that topic. Search query trends were measured by various factors, including total volume and growth versus previous periods.
Yahoo has also created a competition for the Year in Review called Your Moments, where you are invited to share your meaningful moments of 2009 via Twitter using the hashtag #myyearyahoo.
So what were the top ten most popular searches on Yahoo in 2009?
1. Michael Jackson
4. Megan Fox
5. Britney Spears
7. American Idol
8. Kim Kardashian
After 4 years in the #1 spot, Britney Spears moved down to the #5 position. However, the majority of top 10 search queries still relate to the entertainment industry, suggesting that we consistently like to escape from reality. Sad but true.
What were your memorable moments of 2009? Please add your comments below.